[ardour-users] peak identifier

Wolfgang Woehl tito at rumford.de
Tue Oct 4 03:51:02 PDT 2005

Peter Lutek <plutek at infinity.net>:
> is there any way to get an answer to these questions: at what time in
> my session does the maximum peak occur, and what is it's value? (with
> the optional refinement of designating which track or bus to examine)

Yes, there is a way, but you know it already: Going through the mix "by
hand" again and again. Very educational, very painful at times. I'm
eager to hear how professionals like Ron keep their mixes within the
dynamic range. Readjusting levels all the time? As a last step?

One idea is to have a simple jack client (to be written) where you could
plug in Ardour routes (Master bus in most cases, but not limited to it)
and where you could specify thresholds and peak alarms. The thing would
*transport-control* Ardour and just stop at peaks. Unset "Auto return"
and the playhead would be at where you need to fix things.

Or have Ardour freewheel through the session (like on exports) and make
it locate afterwards (= one peak at a time) or have it pop up a window
with peak locations and "Go to" buttons. The latter implies having a way
to specify thresholds and peak alarms too.

There is no way to know peaks without transporting through the mix with
it's redirects/busses/gain stages etc. I guess

Wolfgang