[ardour-users] Top Level Mode

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Mon Oct 3 12:04:41 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 20:36, Esben Stien wrote:
> Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> writes:
>
> > if you can [..] i'll consider it
>
> Could this maybe be a feature?. Having these windows separated has
> many advantages (Tracks, Edit Groups, Regions/name and Chunks), in my
> opinion. Even with my 23" widescreen, I still want more screen real
> estate (I never run anything maximized, though). It's also more
> pleasant to work with such a mode, cause it's more simple and
> displaying exactly what it needs to display. You don't see the things
> you don't use that often and when you need it, you just align or put
> it on top (or maybe attach it), the window that you need. It's also
> quick to change to another window with M-TAB as long as they have
> separate icons.

    I'm not a big fan of the "million windows" school of thought (as in
GIMP) but I can see possibilities in what Esben is proposing.  I use the
Regions/chunks portion of Ardour quite a bit but it is usually something
I do up front.  After I have used it, it just takes up space.  If not in
a separate window, how about implementing it the same way that the
editor mixer has been done - toggle it on and off.  I know you can
minimize it by grabbing the handle and sliding it to the right but
that's a bit awkward.  It would be much easier to just have a toggle
button.

    On a related note - I really like that the mixer no longer comes up
by default.

--
Jan "Evil Twin" Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this
we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744