[ardour-users] Athlon or Simpron ?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Nov 23 07:33:16 PST 2005

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 08:41:23PM -0800, jimi wrote:
> I have been using a celeron system for a few years and I am thinking of
> buying a new box.
> I looked at some AMD systems today and they were all Simpron processors.
> Are the simprons as good as the athlons for audio recording?
> Thanks in advance... Jimi

I'm shopping too and found this useful:
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20051121/index.html
This test in particular is interesting to me because it involves
multitasking:
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20051121/the_mother_of_all_cpu_charts-40.html

One notable difference is that the semprons have much smaller L2 cache
than Athlons.  I am not sure in what kind of applications this would matter.
Anyone?

But for the most part, it *appears* that semprons should deliver very
good performance for the money (sometimes half the price of an Athlon 64
of comparable speed, less than half of a comparable Pentium 4).

This is just based on reading - I haven't bought any AMD chips yet :)
YMMV.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com