[ardour-users] new song on-line

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Wed Nov 16 06:12:57 PST 2005

Greetings:

  Thanks again to everyone who listened to my latest offering. I have
more stuff to put on-line (I've been busy), but it'll have to wait until
I get back from India, where I'll be presenting Ardour and other Linux
audio softs at the FOSS-IN conference, Nov 29 through Dec 2. Another
song and some instrumentals are on the way.

  I wanted to note that the recording and mix were done with Ardour 0.99
on an 800 MHz machine (AMD Duron cpu) running Red Hat 9 with a 2.4
kernel (an old Planet CCRMA system). No xruns occurred during any part
of the process.

  I also wanted to send deep thanks to Paul and all other Ardour
developers. As I learn to use Ardour more effectively I'm constantly
amazed and pleased at how easily I can do the jobs required. A friend
stopped by last night, he runs Pro Tools in a small home studio that's
much nicer than my little setup. He was most impressed by Ardour and
rather upset that I got such a better sound from my system than he's
getting from his. Well, I'm sure that some of that is because he's not
fully conversant with his system, but it does point to the effectiveness
of Linux as a viable platform for serious audio work. And of course my
buddy was *really* upset when he considered the cost-effectiveness of
Linux+Ardour against what it cost him to gear up with PT and its
requirements.

  I'm lovin' it... :)

Best,

dp