[ardour-users] embedded audiofiles get copied

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Tue Nov 15 15:17:09 PST 2005

On 11/15/05, Andre Raue <dawng at raue.info> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to embed some audiofiles into my project. In the pop-up menu
> it says they would be linked to the project. But they get copied into
> the project. Is this, what they are expected to do?
> My WAV-files are positioned in subdirectories of /audio/wavs/fostex/.
> The ardour-projects are positioned in subdirectories of
> /audio/ardour_sessions/. After executing the above steps I find the
> audio-files in /audio/ardour_session/<session_name>/sounds/, too. I
> would have expected, that the files in /audio/wavs/fostex/ were used.
> What am I doing wrong?

No, the embedded files are actually hard-linked into your session if
the original file exists on the same partition.  Hard-links actually
allow your session to work even if you accidentally delete the file
from its original location.  To recognize a hard linked file, do an
'ls -l' and look for a number > 1 in the second column (after the permisions).

jlc