[ardour-users] Delta 1010 question

Michael T D Nelson m_nels at gmx.net
Thu Nov 10 12:19:32 PST 2005

Iwan Heskamp wrote:
 > As the Delta 1010LT has a very attractive price, I looked into its
 > capabilities.
 > I noticed that there's a 'wordclock out' and a 'wordclock in'. Does
 > that mean that in order
 > to record more than eight tracks with two of those cards one only
 > needs to connect the 'out' of
 > one card to 'in' on the other card?

I don't have a 1010, but have read several threads about this in the
past. I was interested in buying one until recently, when I got an RME
card instead.

My understanding is that you *can* plug the 'wordclock out' from one
card into the 'wordclock in' of the second card. One card should then
use the clock from the other.

I understand that you then have to create a custom alsa configuration
(using something like an asound.rc file?) so that ALSA treats the two
cards like one, and JACK can then talk to both cards as one.

However, the previous threads which I can remember ended inconclusively
- I seem to recall that someone said roughly what I had just said but
then couldn't remember anyone who had done this successfully. Maybe an
ALSA mailing list might be more helpful?

Regards
Michael