[ardour-users] Dual Monitors - SOLVED

7lb9oz Productions viipoundproductions at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 9 10:06:15 PST 2005

Hello all, I dont know who exactly was following this
thread, but I know that there were at least a few
people asking for my solution so here it is.

Basically what I did was to allow the "Applications ->
System Settings -> Display" tool to create a new
xorg.conf file based on a dual monitor settup using
the "radeon" driver.  Then, I just had to add a few
options to the first "Section "Device"" within the
file to make it acctually work.  The section is as
follows:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "radeon"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "ATI Radeon 9200"
        Option "DDCMode" "on" # I did this
        Option "MergedFB" "on" # and this
        BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option "CRT2Position" "LeftOf" # and this
        Screen 0
EndSection

Everything else I left as it was, then after a reboot
all was working fine.

I have also tried it with the fglrx drivers from ATI,
but as of right now, (unless someone here can tell me
a good reason to use them), I am going to say that
they are not worth the hassle.  I did manage to get
them installed, I even ran the fglrxconfig program,
set it all up and it appeared to be ok, but it was
still using the mesa instead of the ATI drivers.  I
know that this can be done, but it is such a huge deal
to get the ATI fglrx installed that I am not going to
mess with it right now - although I wouldnt mind
having them working, I just dont have enough hair to
keep pulling it out.

My complete, working xorg.conf file is attached for
anyone who may want/need to look at it.

Thanks again to all who helped, now on to the next
struggle - whatever it may be

http://farechase.yahoo.com