[ardour-users] OS Question

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 05:33:24 PST 2005

On 11/4/05, Peter Lutek <plutek at infinity.net> wrote:
> 7lb9oz Productions wrote:
>
> >Hello again, sorry to keep asking you specifically so
> >many questions, but it appears that you are doing
> >exactly what I have wanted to do and didnt think I
> >could so I still have that slightly-jaw-dropped shock.
> >

> >Can I ask why you have the /boot on a seperate
> >partition?, Also what are the sizes of these
> >partitions?  I am going to be using about 10 - 12 Gigs
> >for this installation, so I am just curious.  Would 10
> >be large enough for a typical OS and the swap space?
> >

> separate /boot just seemed reasonable to help avoiding corruption since
> it's so critical. the fedora installation defaults to that, and i saw no
> good reason not to go that way.

Another optimization is to not mount the boot partition at boot time.
Leave it unmounted unless you are adding a kernel or editing grub.conf
for more safety:

/dev/hda1               /boot           ext3            noauto,noatime
        1 1
/dev/hda8               /               ext3            noatime
        0 0