[ardour-users] OS Question

Peter Lutek plutek at infinity.net
Thu Nov 3 17:50:35 PST 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:

> My #1 recommendation is to stop
>worrying, build and configure a system, make some music and have some
>fun. The technology will likely work itself out over time and if
>you're not having fun what's the point?

well said, mark.

yes, my final configuration is not a result of having observed lots of
things crash and burn, and then going with a carefully chosen single
possible working solution. over the last few years, on various machines,
i've tried lots of setups - single partitions, multiple partitions on
single drives, separate drives, various filesystems, etc., etc. -- i
can't recall anything REALLY failing, once configured with reasonable
care. perhaps what i have now is a bit more stable and/or a bit faster
than some other things i've tried, but it's pretty hard to point to
radically better statistics, and there's simply a lot of personal
"taste" involved here.

modern linux systems are, as mark points out, a pleasure to work with.

-p