[ardour-users] OS Question

Wolfgang Woehl tito at rumford.de
Thu Nov 3 04:54:51 PST 2005

7lb9oz Productions <viipoundproductions at yahoo.com>:

> this weekednd.  My question is, can I, (using fedora core, or
> anything really), eliminate this percieved need for the "office OS"?

Hi 7lb9oz, even just thinking of having to reboot in order to be able to
read email gives me the creeps. There is no need for a dedicated
daw/studio installation. Key to happiness here is an appropriately
setup kernel for realtime audio plus enough RAM. That's it. Run ardour,
firefox, office, whatever. Might also run your native winxp in a vmware
session. JACK won't care. fedora (generic linux system) + planet ccrma
(audio side) is recommended often among linux audio people because of
good maintenance and diversity.

Wolfgang