[ardour-users] General low volume output

Tobiah toby at rcsreg.com
Tue May 31 11:51:39 PDT 2005

> I'd have guessed that was it too, except I was able to somehow achieve higher
> volume levels (output) by tinkering with ardour.

I am guessing that your trouble getting high enough
output from ardour is that you are not getting enough
volume *in* to your tracks in the first place.  Check
the meters on the way in, and make sure that you are
getting as close to zero as possible.  If you really
get desperate for volume, you can use the volume
ladspa plugin as an effect, and boost the signal
to your heart's content.  If you are seeing the
master output read near zero, and it is still too
quiet, then yeah, it's the software mixer, assuming
that other things on your computer sound fine.  Also
note that you will have great difficulty making music
that sounds even *half* as loud as a commercial CD,
which I assume is primarily due to their egregious
overuse of compression and limiting.

Tobiah