[ardour-users] exporting tracks?

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Fri May 20 01:21:05 PDT 2005

On 27 April 2005 at 15:38, Wolfgang Woehl <tito at rumford.de> wrote:

> Kevin, ok, you tried a lot of things. Next thing you could try is build
> ardour with "scons DEBUG=1" and run it inside a debugger:
>
> $ cd ardour/gtk_ardour
> $ ./ardbg
> gdb shows up, at the prompt you say
> gdb> run
> When the export crashes/comatizes ardour you can try to get a backtrace
> with
> gdb> thread apply all bt
> (If ardour doesn't really crash though it's more complicated. You would
> have to set a breakpoint and then apply bt)

True.  Ardour doesn't crash.  But, I did kill it, hoping for a
backtrace.  But, I couldn't get a backtrace, probably because I
killed it?  I tried setting some breakpoints.  I started looking
in export_dialog.cc, but wasn't lucky (patient?) enough to figure out
just where to set the breakpoint to isolate my issue.  Maybe I
should have been looking in editor_export_audio.cc anyway.  Below is
what I tried.

[kevinc at music-gtk_ardour #27] gdb ardour.bin
GNU gdb 6.2-2mdk (Mandrakelinux)
This GDB was configured as "i586-mandrake-linux-gnu"...Using host libthread_db l
ibrary "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/local/src/INCOMING/BUILD/ardour-0.9beta29/gtk_ardour/ard
our.bin
[New Thread 1083668672 (LWP 15979)]
[New Thread 1092254640 (LWP 16034)]
Ardour/GTK 0.9beta29
   (built using 0.589.2 with libardour 0.887.1)
Copyright (C) 1999-2005 Paul Davis
Some portions Copyright (C) Steve Harris, Ari Johnson, Brett Viren, Joel Baker
Ardour comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
under certain conditions; see the source for copying conditions.
ardour: [ERROR]: MIDI: no such port device
ardour: [WARNING]: Your system generates "Mod2" when the NumLock key is pressed.
 This can cause problems when editing so Ardour will use Mod3 to mean Meta rathe
r than Mod2
[New Thread 1105619888 (LWP 16038)]
[New Thread 1114012592 (LWP 16039)]
[New Thread 1124174768 (LWP 16056)]
[New Thread 1132567472 (LWP 16057)]
[New Thread 1141492656 (LWP 16058)]
Couldn't get registers: No such process.
(gdb) thread apply all bt
Cannot find new threads: generic error
(gdb)

> Another thing to check would be to look for jackd right after the
> freeze. Is it alive?

Seems to be fine.

> In qjackctl -> Setup you can set a (much) longer timeout so that jackd
> waits longer for an app to come back up again.

Longer timeout doesn't seem to work as well.

> If the above doesn't help then you should
> /join #ardour on freenode.net to get live and way more competent help
> from las, taybin, sampo_v2 and nick_.

I must live in a cave.  I still don't chat.  Ugh, I guess I'll have
to learn.

> Keep a list at hand with exact
> kernel version, jackd version, ardour version etc.

kernel is 2.6.7 of the Mandrake contrib multimedia variety to which I
added the realcap patch.  I've confirmed that realcap is working for
me as a user.
jack is version 3.0.0.  jackit and jackit-realtime are 0.98.1.
qjackctl is 0.2.12.
ALSA is 1.0.6a.
Ardour is beta29.
Distribution is Mandrake 10.1.
Hardware is 2GHz Celeron, 1GB RAM, 200GB Seagate Baracuda disk.

> Your rc looks totally ok. Me being a monkey I would try the case with
> vst disabled, but just out of a hunch. I use vst too and have zero
> problems with it.

I tried disabling VST.  No change.

A couple days ago Esa Linna reported what looked just like what I'm
seeing:

>>I installed PlanetCCRMA's RPM of Ardour (Version 0.9beta29-1). Works fine,
>>except when exporting the session to file (wav or aiff), the system stucks
>>and exporting fails. Is this a common bug, or should I try other version of
>>Ardour?

I raced right to the ardour nightly tarball, built and tested the May
17th version.  Alas, for me I have the same export hanging problem as
before.

I'm eager to try more debugging.  Should I join ardour-devel and ask
there?  I don't want to be a pest on a developer list with a user
question tho.  But, this is starting to look like the kind of thing
that a developer would be best able to coach me at.

Thanks....
--
Kevin