[ardour-users] Audigy to M-Audio

Luc Tanguay lucus at sympatico.ca
Thu May 12 19:34:39 PDT 2005

I have a similar setup (Duron 1GHz, RH9, ...) and recently bought a
Delta-66.  But I kept my Audigy for MIDI stuff.  No MIDI on Delta-44 or -66.

With Delta-66 you can have better quality (96KHz) [if quality ==
sampling frequency].
Also, the mixer part of the card is a lot simpler with the Delta-66.

As for the latency, I use different settings to record and to mix (easy
with qjackctl).  For recording (at 48KHz) I set frames/period to 256 so
latency is 10.7ms.  But I sometimes have xruns.
For mixing I use frames/period = 1024 so latency is 42.7ms.

Also I don't use KDE, but iceWM (less memory footprint). In Ardour I
don't show waveforms while recording and use a minimum number of plugins
(usually 0 or 1 -- reverb for singers).

With this setup I can record 4 tracks at a time with not much problems.

Hope this help,
Luc