[ardour-users] Newbie sick of windows!

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Thu Mar 31 07:11:57 PST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:45:55 -0500
"Jason Russler" <jasonrussler at msn.com> wrote:
> If you're frustrated with Windows DAW software then you haven't seen
> anything yet.  Linux is not, and will not be for some time, a suitable
> platform for any kind of production work.  If you're interested in
> development, experiment or you're a hobbyist, that's another thing.
> Otherwise, you're in for a world of hurt.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more.  I just moved my son from a Windows
environment over to Linux/Planet CCRMA with Ardour and Hydrogen as his
primary tools, with some soft synth stuff thrown in as well.

He's a LOT happier under Linux than he was under Windows, which crashed
repeatedly and frustrated him to no end.

That said, a lot of this stability is because we're on Fedora Core 1,
which uses the rock-solid 2.4 kernel.  The 2.6 kernel is still, as has
been pointed out, bleeding edge for low latency audio work.

My suggestion for Jon would be to forget about 64-bit for now, and go
with FC1 and the Planet CCRMA distribution based on the 2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma
kernel and just be happy.  There's ISOs of them if network connectivity is
lacking.

I've been very happy with using reiserfs3 for the partitions I record to.

Remember, when you're on the bleeding edge, that blood might be yours!!

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com