[ardour-users] Newbie sick of windows!

Jason Russler jasonrussler at msn.com
Thu Mar 31 06:45:55 PST 2005

If you're frustrated with Windows DAW software then you haven't seen
anything yet.  Linux is not, and will not be for some time, a suitable
platform for any kind of production work.  If you're interested in
development, experiment or you're a hobbyist, that's another thing.
Otherwise, you're in for a world of hurt.  A week using nothing but Ardour
and other Linux software will make even  entry-level DAW software on Windows
a good idea again.  That said, I do a lot of useful audio work using some
audio tools on Linux - including Ardour.

Go 32-bit and save yourself some possible trouble, there are still some
LADSPA plugins that won't compile to 64-bit binaries.  My setup is 64-bit
but there's little practical reason for it and it does take some extra
effort.
Since you're using FC3 you'll want to make some kernel alterations, I think
the PlanetCCRMA kernel is still 2.4 but Fernando has some notes on the site
somewhere.  You'll need to recompile the kernel to be able to use “real
time” scheduling as a normal user rather than root.  If you want, I can send
you some instructions if you can't google up anything with “realtime lsm
linux kernel 2.6” or some combination of similar terms, just let me know.

I don't own a Delta 1010, but I understand that it's one of the best cores
out there for Linux support.

I use an XFS on my audio drive – it's a very fast filesystem but has a bit
more CPU overhead associated with it – my system is an Athlon64 3200 as well
and it's been nothing but good to me.

Without a network connection, you will be spending a lot of time getting
this thing running, as you will need to download a lot of software –
seriously consider some sort of network connection if you can afford it.
Sneeker-netting everything from work will become a problem.
-Jason