[ardour-users] disk throughput problems with beta

Karl Hammar karl at aspodata.se
Thu Mar 31 06:17:20 PST 2005

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:45:49 -0500 (EST), Jesse Chappell <jesse at essej.net>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Peter Lutek wrote:
> >
> >> just looked at some recent session directories and, while a separate
> >> peak
> >> directory does exist, in fact it is empty, and the peak files are being
> >> written in the same directory as the wave files.
> >
> > This is not good, and almost definitely a bug.  Withhold complete
> > judgement until we fix this, because it definitely helped out
> > with ext3.
> >

> in my most recent tests, peak files ARE where they should be. don't know
> what was going on before. i'll keep monitoring to make sure.
>
> sorry to have raised the alarm. however, the problem with recording while
> recording waveform display is ON still remains. same results for me on
> both ext3 and xfs.
>
> -p

It is my understanding that a journalling filesystem is worse
latencyvise compared to a traditional one like ext2.

If you have a latency problem and suspect the filesystem;
take a spare disk, make a few partitions with ext2, ext3, xfs, ...,
stop all daemons (else you might be measuring latency problems in
/var), unmount whatever you can.

Then mount them one at a time, start recording, umoun, take next
filesystem. Btw., there was a bug in ext3 last summer, which caused
a custemer get 2s latency from time to time.

Regards,
/Karl

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data               karl at aspodata.se
Lilla Aspö 2340                                                Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar          +46  173 140 57                   Computers
Sweden                     +46  70 511 97 84                 Consulting