[ardour-users] Help - planning

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 14:55:24 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:21:27 -0600, Josh Karnes <jkarnes1 at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Jesse Chappell wrote:
> > Josh Karnes wrote on Mon, 21-Mar-2005:
> >
> >  > OK, I've been using Ardour semi-regularly now for about a year.  Most of the
> >  > time has been since 0.9beta23 which is what is currently on the system.
> >
> > You should strongly consider upgrading to beta28 even before you
> > do the big move, if possible.  Many nasty crashing bugs
> > have been squashed.  But anyway....
>
> well I would but...
>
> not going to be doing any significant amount of recording between then and
> now.  However, if it looks like I'm going to have the studio built and the
> lights on before the 1.0 pops out, I may have to do the upgrade.
>
> > The key word here is *or*.  You will realistically only be able to run ardour
> > with one of those audio interfaces at any given time.
>
> nononononono  this doesn't sound good at all.
>
> what I strongly desire to do is to have the input of a track assigned to an
> input from the Delta 1010, and then have the output of all tracks assigned
> to the lightpipe card (probably RME... guess I can't run multiples of a
> Terratec or something?).  So that like in real time, I record a track, then
> when/as I play it back right then and there, it's playing back through the
> DA7...  as I overdub another track along with it from the Delta 1010...

I think you can do this with Word Clock. I use the WC output on my
HDSP to drive the Pod Pro. It seems to work fine.  hdspconf doesn't
provide any means for me to turn it off so I guess it's always on. If
that's the case, and if you think you can tell the 1010 to sync to WC
then you should be fine.

> Now, if this won't work, I will rapidly switch back to Windows 98SE/Nuendo
> as it will do this just fine!  I mean I'm all for the user community and all
> that but I have to get some work done!
>
> > So if you
> > want to track with the delta 1010, then mix with the DA7 (thru
> > the RME HDSP)  you will need to disconnect from JACK, and start it up again with
> > the HDSP as the audio interface.
>
> so I get it... jack attaches to only ONE audio card.
>
> how does this work with multiple Delta 1010's?  Or a Delta 1010 and a 1010LT
> or something?  I was under the impression that, pending sync with wordclock,
> it would "just work"...  not so with different-chipset cards?  Not so with
> any cards?

With multiple cards you have to write a virtual card device in your
.asoundrc file and then set that up as the card being used by your
apps. People in the know say it works. ;-)

> > There are ALSA hacks to attempt
> > to make 2 audio interfaces show up as one, but i suspect it could
> > be a nightmare with two different cards such as these, if not
> > impossible.  Word clock sync would be involved too, if you were
> > actually able to do it.
>
> OK I'm interested in the ALSA hacks :)

.asoundrc.

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=TwoCardsAsOne