[ardour-users] Help - planning

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 13:52:26 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:43:22 -0600, Josh Karnes <jkarnes1 at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> So my questions:
> 1. can anyone recommend an affordable, usable, well-supported card with 24
> channels of ADAT I/O?  I'll take 32 channels.  Doesn't need any analog at
> all or likely any MIDI.  Needs to interoperate with Ardour/Jack & my Delta 1010.

I'm using the HDSP 9652 under FC2/Planet. If you can find an old
Hammerfall used via EBay or somethign then this might be even less
expensive. The HDSP 9652 is currently working very well in most ways.
As always with this card there could be some sort of current firmware
revision issue that pops up if oyu buy a new one. I don't know if RME
is shipping newer firmware these days and I haven't updated mine in a
long time. There are a coupl eof other folks running the HDSP 9652
also.

> 2. does this sound like a good plan?  Will FC3 be too much of a resource hog
> (if running FluxBox)?  Is there a better distro to go with (not talking
> about the u-build-it thing like gentoo...  too much work to install &
> maintain).

I run both FC2 and Gentoo. Unless the machine is fast and you're
realyl into building code stick with FC2. On the downside it's
considerably more difficult to find some apps for FC2 but if all
you're going to do is track, etc., then it probably won't be a problem
as it is for me trying to use the machine as my main email/browser
platform.

> 3. is my whole DAW-control/automation/monitoring idea with the DA7 going to
> work?  What do I need to do special?

Can't help there. Hopefully someone else can.

Cheers,
Mark