[ardour-users] plugin only with software monitoring

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Tue Mar 8 02:53:46 PST 2005

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 01:00:36 -0500
Luc Tanguay <lucus at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've upgraded ardour to 0.9beta27 from Planet CCRMA on a RedHat9
> system.  My problem is that I cannot hear the plugins when recording or
> monitoring input unless I set "software monitoring" to ON in the options
> editor.  If I record, the fx is recorded but I don't hear it while I'm
> recording.  I know it worked with previous version of ardour.

I am pretty sure this behaviour hasn't changed as it is expected
behaviour and simply cannot work any different.. If you want to hear the
plugins on your instrument while you are recording, there's no other way
than software monitoring..

hardware monitoring is basically useless as it simply sets up the
soundcards mixer to route the input signal directly to one of the
soundcard's outputs. You can set this up directly with envy24control for
you m-audio card (or with alsamixer or pretty much every other card).

/me votes for removing all references to hw monitoring from jack and
ardour as they only confuse users.

> The "software monitoring" trick is not satisfactory since there is a
> little delay between the dry and wet sounds...

which is unavoidable if you think about it for a bit. The sound needs to
be processed. This processing happens in chunks. If the delay is too
long for your tastes, reduce the jack buffer size.

> I've tried other options (hardware monitoring, run plugins while
> recording) and it does not help.

flo

--
Palimm Palimm!