[ardour-users] Delta 1010 .asoundrc

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 10:22:52 PST 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:15:30 -0500 (EST), hanaghan at starband.net
<hanaghan at starband.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 12:25:30 -0500, ross at lug.udel.edu <ross at lug.udel.edu>
> > wrote:

> >> Delta 1010 to work optimally with ardour?  I've had a look here
> >>
> >> What do you mean "optimal"?  You should be able to load jack and
> >> ardour and have all the channels accessible at the indicated sampling
> >> rate.
> >
> > In fact a .asoundrc file is not required at all. IMHO .asoudrc files
> > probably get in the way of Ardour working correctly unless you really
> > know what you're doing in there. (Which I don't...)
>
> U are correct in that things will work without the .asoundrc  but it's my
> understanding that if you just use the "default" for alsa, you lose some
> performance.(?) I don't recall exactly, but in using the GUI's (Qjackctl
> and jackconnect or whatever it was) that I could not get the ports to show
> untill I utilized the ICE1712 .asoundrc for a "hoontech" card that is
> posted in the Alsa site, and set the port numbers to "0" in Qjackctl. Then
> I got the 10/12 I/O's. Jan Depner pointed me there when I asked all the
> same questions after buying my Delta 1010LT.

Maybe that's specifically an ICE1712 problem?  I don't know of any
problems with my RME cards. I certainly see all the Alsa ports the
card has to offer in QJC. (26 in/26 out) I cannot imagine any
performance issues on my card since I run it under Jack all day long.
No xruns to speak of, etc. Everything seems cool.

 That said the major usage problem I have with Alsa (not with Ardour)
is that it's sort of brain dead about real life. We want Ardour
running and so we have Jack turned on. At the same time we're not
recording, etc., 100% of the time. We're doing email, browsing, etc. I
need to be able to look at video and hear audio while my Ardour
session is running but not active. (Hope that's clear. If not come to
the meeting on the 12th.) ;-) !! ;-) Anyway, I have continually hoped
for info on how to make Mozilla/Firefox really work at the same time
I've got Ardour open.