[ardour-users] Importing 4-channel .wav files

Scott Helmke scott at scotthelmke.com
Thu Mar 3 06:29:16 PST 2005

On Thursday 03 March 2005 09:06, gerard van dongen wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 08:36:45 -0500, Scott Helmke <scott at scotthelmke.com>>
> > I've been able to import audio in the past, typically from mono or
> > stereo .wav files.  But with these 4-channel .wav files the Audition
> > button doesn't
> > produce any sound (though it does seem to stay "pressed" for the time
> > length
> > of my test .wav), and then when I do the final button press to import I
> > don't see any clips under the filename in the tree view for audio clips.
>
> Can you drag the filename to a 4 channel track?
> Did you try it with split into mono files?

I went and tried some things.

Importing it:  The "Play" (audition) button caused a segmentation fault.
Embedding it:  I did try the "split" button, and I did get 4 "tracks" out of
that in the clip window.  But all four of them showed up as silent - ie flat
line in waveform display, no sound when played.

Just to be certain, I used "aplay" on my source .wav and it plays back fine.
I was also able to audition clips in a different session that had all been
recorded in Ardour, and that works fine (I also double-checked the audition
output in the Options window).

The .wav files I'm trying to import were recorded with "arecord" with the
following options:
arecord -f S24_LE -c 4 -r 44100 foo.wav

I'm trying to match what I was doing with Jackd:
jackd -R -d alsa -r 44100
(should be 24 bits from the Delta-44, right?)

Hmmm... is there some issue with 24 vs 32 bits in the .wav file?  I think
I've been able to import 16-bit .wav files without having to do anything
special in Ardour.

-Scott
--
---- Scott Helmke ---- scott at scotthelmke.com ---- (734) 604-9340 ----
And you'll visualize not taking any chances