[ardour-users] Linux Audio Pro - Studio

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Fri Jun 17 10:40:12 PDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 06:10:03PM +0200, Mario Torre wrote:
> A) provided the fact that the most of dsp processing will be done
> outside the computer (compressors and delay/reverbs will be mainly
> external processors - such as tc electronic/fatman/line 6/lexicon/...),
> do you thing that linux is ready for this prime time?

Paging Ron Parker, white courtesy telophone please ;-)

I have only used it for my own recordings in my home "studio".
It's fantastic for that.

> B) Can logic exchange files with ardour? I know not natively, but there
> is a standard file format (like aiff or waves) that support multitracks
> that can be used for that?

Most DAWs can export tracks as WAV, and Ardour can import them
just fine.

> C) And what about the hardware (pc and sound cards)?

The standard answers for sound cards:

* RME if you need a lot of channels and want to choose your own ADC / DAC.

* M-audio Delta 1010 if you are satisfied with their converters
  and can figure out how to chain multiple units together.
  http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=TwoCardsAsOne
  will help with the alsa config, but you still need to get
  the word clock in sync - I know you can do it by chaining
  together the S/PDIF inputs/outputs, but it should also work
  to connect the wordclock I/O on the two units.
  (I don't know if this is handled purely by the 1010 hardware, or if it
  needs some OS support; if the latter, I don't know if hte
  ALSA driver supports it. Anyone?)

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com