[ardour-users] shall we wait for VST or go with libfst?

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Sat Jun 4 17:58:41 PDT 2005

>Isn't the stuff I wrote and that Dave Philips putting on his Linux
>Audio site working anymore? It worked for me, and I think that's where
>Geoff started as I remember having some conversations with him when he
>brought it up. Look near the bottom of this link:
>
>http://www.djcj.org/LAU/quicktoots/toots/vst-plugins/

Indeed, these do work...I'm sure Mark and Dave especially remember what
they went through helping me get Jack_fst working!! :) I think Mr.
Phillips is still in therapy!!!

Mark and others have made the later release listed on the above link
work but Myself, and others, have stayed with Wine vers 05052004. We
know it works for, and I'll speak purely of my own experience
here...prolly 40% of the vst's I try.  But the ones I want do work!
Typically in my case these will be reverbs, a great GM2 midi softsynth
(Hyper Canvas), a chorus, etc. Eveything else I have found sufficiency
in LADSPA's with CMT, SWH and TAP plugins.

Once in awhile I get itchy to want to "have it all" in Linux Audio right
now. But...I think over the last 18 mths or so and just how far these
core audio aps have come and with that also more stability. I'm
convinced that I'll be Windowless in Audio very soon!

I can't imagine trying to run a Pro Studio centralized around these
apps...They are ALL in Beta after all (except a few). A few apps even
Alpha! For those that have (Mr Parker, etc...My hats off to you because
you walk the reality tightrope which is where the real problems usually
show up. This only helps the devs more I  assume in finding the
strengths / weakness in their designs.

Keep the faith...Use what you have to to meet your needs...

R~