[ardour-users] shall we wait for VST or go with libfst?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 10:46:41 PDT 2005

On 6/3/05, Brendan Spear <brendan_spear at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Paul, I was planning on rebuilding my audio box to go with Linux and Ardour
> this weekend… however, I already own lots of VSTi's I have purchased. I was
> planning to try out the libfst, but you just suggested on the email list to
> wait to you have that built in. I don't mean to be rude or to rush you, but
> any idea on a timeline that VST may be built in? so I can gauge weather or
> not to mess with the fstlib stuff or not. (by the way from everything I have
> read and seen, Ardour looks amazing).
> Thanks, Brendan

Brendan,
   Paul makes good points. On the other hand you cannot hold your
breath for any of this. If you want VSTs in the next year ten I'd
certainly give the libfst/jack_fst/etc., with an older version of wine
- probably 20040505. It does work in a very limited fashion. You will
almost certainly be able to run a few of your VSTs and possibly a VSTi
or two. You will most definitely NOT be able to run everything and
what does run will likely be a bit weird compared to Windows.

   Give it a try and see how you do. No harm in it if you have the
time and will power. ;-)

Cheers,
Mark