[ardour-users] building ardour

Hector Centeno h.centeno at sympatico.ca
Fri Jun 3 08:11:33 PDT 2005

eviltwin69 at cableone.net wrote:

>On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 14:38 , David Mulcahy <eseol at tiscali.co.uk> sent:
>

>>On Friday 03 June 2005 14:21, Hector Centeno wrote:
>>

>>>hi,
>>>
>>>I'm trying to build ardour and scons keeps giving me this messages:
>>>Checking for jack_client_open()...failed
>>>Checking for jack_recompute_total_latencies()...failed
>>>
>>>I found a post in the ardour mailing list where Fernando and someone
>>>else were discussing the same problem but there was no answer. I have
>>>Jack built from CVS (I did that yesterday trying to fix this problem,
>>>and also went through making sure the previous version of jack was
>>>deleted) and I have ardour source from CVS too. Any help? I have Fedora
>>>Core 3 with Planet CCRMA.
>>>
>>>thanks!
>>>

>>I think you must still have an old versions of jack-dev files somewhere on you
>>computer either on /usr/include or /usr/local/include/
>>

>    You also need to check /usr/local/lib and /usr/lib.  The Planet packages
>usually go into /usr instead of /usr/local/.  If you built jack from CVS and
>didn't specify --prefix=/usr then the output went to /usr/local/include and
>/usr/local/lib.  You will still have the old version in /usr/include and
>/usr/lib.  These will be used first so your clean build from CVS won't work.  I
>also use Planet and rebuild jack, ardour, and JAMin from CVS - I always specify
>--prefix=/usr on those configures so that I don't have this problem.
>
>Jan

ok, now is working but I had to build it without VST support. Did you
build ardour using the VST=1 flag?

I struggled a little building the libfst (needed for VST support) but
finally I got it thanks to the help of someone at the wine IRC channel.
Now I wonder if the fix was that successful. We found that there is a -F
flag needed after --exe in the winebuild call. Someone at the wine IRC
helped me to find it. After that it built with no problems. The Makefile
inside the fst folder should read like this:

$(LDPATH) $(WINEBUILD) -fPIC -o $@ --exe -F $(fst_exe_MODULE)
-m$(fst_exe_APPMODE) $(fst_exe_SPEC_SRCS:%=--spec %)
$(fst_exe_RC_SRCS:%.rc=%.res) $(fst_exe_OBJS) $(fst_exe_DLL_PATH)
$(WINE_DLL_PATH) $(GLOBAL_DLL_PATH) $(fst_exe_DLLS:%=-l%)
$(GLOBAL_DLLS:%=-l%)

If you don't change it you get an error message from winebuild while
building libfst asking for naming the files using -F.

thanks,

hector