[ardour-users] Installing Ardour

Gerhard Zintel Gerhard.Zintel at web.de
Sat Jul 23 02:28:57 PDT 2005

Hi  Steve,

On Saturday 23 July 2005 06:36, Steve Robinson wrote:
> I am trying to install Ardour in Kanotix and it keeps
> breaking my desktop.
> I am using a KDE desktop which is what I prefer and is
> what Kannotix comes with as by default. I have tried
> installing it using your instructions and it
. . .
> Does Ardour have to have a Gnome desktop or am I doing
> something wrong? I am new to Linux (have been a
> Microshaft user since DOS 2) so I may be doing
> something dumb. I'm a musician not a programmer.
> I can install a Gnome system on one of my hdd
I'm working on a Debian based distro too and there is no problem at all. Also
KDE runs out of the box without problem. It may not be the best solution if
you are short with memory but for me (I'm used to it) it does the job very
well on an 1200 MHz ITX box. Recording of 10 tracks at the same time at 44000
Hz without problems.

I don't think it's a problem with Ardour; if you log into the system  in KDM
login manager you are able to choose the deskop environmenty, KDE, Gnome, ...
Maybe there is by defaul choosen the wrong system for you? If you don't launch
Ardour in a session and log yourself out and in again, do you get KDE or
Gnome in he next session?

And like Esben told you in his oher mail, you have to be a bit more specific
in your description.

Gerhard

FYI:.: The characer 't' isn't working well on my keyboard - in case I have
overseen strange words above