[ardour-users] Ardour was not fast enough

Brett McCoy idragosani at chapelperilous.net
Sun Jul 17 17:19:41 PDT 2005

Devin Venable wrote:

>>I was having that problem before I installed the realtime-lsm patch.  Haven't seen it since.
>
> That's an interesting suggestion. Is the module called realtime?
> realcap?
 >
> I'm running the 2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma kernel, but no sign of this
> patch.  I don't run audio applications as root, so I guess this would
> make a difference.

That kernel may already have the patches applied.  The 2.4.x kernels
have don't have the realtime & capabilities stuff built but require
manual patches, and the multimedia distros like CCRMA or Agnula provide
pre-built kernels with this.

> I also read somewhere that I shouldn't be running jackstart, but rather
> jackd with some realtime switch given.  I use qjackctrl and it's using
> jackstart.

jackstart (either via qjackctl or the command-line) is the correct way
to start jack, AFAIK, and the preferred way.  jackstart starts jack with
certain priveleges so that userspace programs can run with realtime
capabilities.

Does qjackctl indicate that it is running in realtime?

-- Brett
--
Programmer by Day, Guitarist by Night
http://www.chapelperilous.net