[ardour-users] Ardour Tips and Tricks

tito at rumford.de tito at rumford.de
Thu Jul 14 06:14:53 PDT 2005

Stephen, I'd make sure to have current JACK (0.99.72 at least which
brought the systemic latency parameters given to jackd via -I and -O)
and Ardour out of cvs (0.599.0/0.894.1). It has quirks but is very
stable and reliable. Been doing lots of recording and editing these
weeks and this short list comes to my mind:

An important setting in Options -> Sync is the dreaded "Align recorded
material with: ..." It is one of the cornerstones of Ardour's latency
compensation system. The shabada is this:

If you record from physical inputs you want "Existing material that was
listened to while recording" here. If you record a softsynth from the
host box or if you do constructive editing (like recording couple of
tracks|edits onto a new track) you want "The exact time it was
recorded" here.

The mis-alignment you'd get if you failed to set this right is related
to the buffersize you run JACK with.

If you care for a good laugh you want to ask anyone but the devs what
means what. It's not complicated really but it is unfortunate that you
have to think of something like that. The alignment-option is global to
the session and so you have to change forth and back when
recording/editing.

The template feature is cool. Depends on how you record. If you will use
a specific setup (drums miking etc.) over and over again then just set
up a new session with adequate tracks and tracknames, connections to
your audio interface, settings etc. and say "Session -> Save Template".
It will show up in the New-session-dialog -> Configuration tab.

"Mix groups" are cool too. Keeps big sessions manageable. A group does
not follow a member's gain or panning automation though -- worth to be
kept in mind.

Some VST's crash our beloved host (fst 1.3, wine-20040505) and I keep
forgetting which because it actually bothers me zero. Playing around
with VST's at crucial times has just become a don't-do-that here.

Export to 16bit with shaped-noise-dithering introduces an audible noise
floor which is probably not right. None, Rectangle and Triangular noise
are ok.

Getting to know the various keyboard shortcuts and mouse-keyboard combos
is worth every minute you put into it. Lets you move/edit/setup fast.
My experience with recording a band is that you want to deal as little
as possible with the DAW because there is so much other important and
fun stuff going on. They're all in ~/.ardour/.ardour.rc

I'd get the RAM, absolutely. Absolutely.

We, my band, recorded 9 songs last summer on a hot weekend, very
demo-ish, very not perfect and very dear to us just the same.
Ardour/JACK proved to be great tools for doing what we wanted. In
retrospect it is a bit of a miracle that it worked so good. But
seriously: I wouldn't feel safe recording with any other DAW.

Be good, Wolfgang