[ardour-users] Ardour zombifies when idling (after playback with freeverb plugin)

Neil Klepeis nklepeis at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 21 07:32:50 PST 2005

Tom Szilagyi wrote:
> Rest assured that this *is* the definitive denormal bug.
> Go submit a bugreport to the author of the plugin.
> Ardour is absolutely innocent in this case.

Thanks.  Since CMT plugin development seems to be a little stagnant,  I
decided to take it into my own hands a bit, but I might need a little
kind help from someone out there.  Is there anyone who can give me a tip
on proper syntax for changing the denormals.h file in freeverb?

Details:

On some old post I found that the denormals.h file for freeverb didn't
work too well with newer compilers; they recommend to exchange the first
statement below with the second definition:

#define undenormalise(sample) if(((*(unsigned
int*)&sample)&0x7f800000)==0) sample=0.0f

static inline float
undenormalise(volatile float s)
{
    s += 9.8607615E-32f;
    return s - 9.8607615E-32f;
}

I tried changing it out one-for-one, but.. no good.  Ardour still
zombifies.  I then tried using something like the following....but still
no good, [although ardour now doesn't zombify, it's just that freeverb
sounds like @$!&].

#define static inline float undenormalise(volatile float s) { s +=
9.8607615E-32f; return s - 9.8607615E-32f; }

You can probably see that I have no idea what I'm doing, but this seems
like it should be so _simple_.   Maybe now is the time to go read up on
C :).

Thanks,

--Neil