Silent pc (Re: [ardour-users] Session export ?

Matthew Sewell matthewsewell at ojai.net
Wed Feb 23 15:20:49 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 13:54, Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen wrote:

> Are you sure you don't have a second room or a large closet placed
> somewhere? Setting up long cables for mouse/keyboard/monitor/sound is a
> lot more efficient, easier an dprobably cheaper to set up than trying to
> force a computer to be quite.

This is a good point.  My current situation is working pretty well as it
is because I can run balanced mic cables to various rooms in the house
to get whatever acoustics (or lack of acoustics) I desire.

Recording is usually a two person job anyway.  My daughter and I had a
great time trying to determine the *best* way for us to record a
kalimba.  She suggested a pencil mic pointed down at the top of it from
above.  This didn't pick up quite the tone we were looking for, so we
repositioned it so that it was 3 inches away and pointed directly at the
side of the instrument with the low-end response rolled off.  We then
made the recording in the doorway of the bathroom so that the mic picked
up a small but transparent amount of natural small-room-with-tile reverb
from the side.