[ardour-users] Session export ?

Josh Karnes jkarnes1 at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 23 10:50:39 PST 2005

Matthew Sewell wrote:

> When I build my rack-mount unit, I am going to equip it with SilenX fans
> and HD silencers.

With readily-available, cheap fans and a regular PC case, a little duct
tape, some creativity and a little bit of rewiring, you can get a PC very
very quiet.  I record quiet acoustic guitars all the time next to my PC
(1.4GHz AMD with three hard drives).  HD spindle noise is the only audible
noise.  The fans are not audible even with 60dB of gain and an omni
condenser mic less than 10 feet away.

The key is to rework the air flow so the only exhaust fan is in the power
supply, air inlet is at the opposite corner of the box, run all the fans on
7V (gotta rewire, and open the p/s and disconnect the fan, run the wire out
of the p/s and power the p/s fan from the mobo).  Use sleeve bearing fans
that are very quiet.  Grommet-mount the hard disks or suspend them with
ponytail elastics & zip-ties in the 5.25" bays to decouple the vibration
noise.  Then once the machine is together, find all air leaks and seal them
with duct tape (except the CD drive, intentional air inlet...).