[ardour-users] Session export ?

Matthew Sewell matthewsewell at ojai.net
Wed Feb 23 10:40:00 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 05:08, Wolfgang Woehl wrote:
> > Ardour was down the hall in my music room (which doubles as my wife's
> > sewing room).  I ran a mic cable out of the bathroom door to a tube
> > pre-amp and then ran another mic cable from the preamp to my Delta
> > 1010LT card.  It is my plan to eventually build a machine
> > specifically for Ardour that will be rack-mounted and portable.
>
> I suppose you rec-armed, started transport and then walked over? How did
> you monitor?

No.  I have an 8-year-old daughter who runs ardour and sets all the
levels in the signal chain.  She knows how to make sure that the signal
is as loud as possible without clipping and she knows how to run ardour
efficiently.

I monitor with a pair of Fostex T20 headphones with a long extension
jack and we set up a talkback system so that she can talk to me through
my headphones and a can talk to her through the mic that is picking up
the guitar.

> As an alternative to moving the DAW itself one could probably set up a
> touchscreen linux box with WLAN and VNC as remote control.

Yes.  That would work.  The only real problem, as with a movable DAW, is
that you would have to be very careful about operation noise.  When
using condenser mics, I can't be in the same room with the computer
because the noise from the fans comes through the recording.  It's not
so bad with the dynamic mics, but I only use them to record very loud
sounds anyway.

When I build my rack-mount unit, I am going to equip it with SilenX fans
and HD silencers.