[ardour-users] cannot send quarter-frame MTC message

Wolfgang Woehl tito at rumford.de
Thu Feb 10 11:50:12 PST 2005

<marco at deepinsidemyself.de>:
> now MTC works fine.

Can Ardour be master and slave with this alsa/raw device?

Geoff, do you have new knowledge about drift/sync when Ardour is MTC
master to an external device like your windows box/Samplitude?
The source
libs/ardour/session_midi.cc
     -> Session::send_midi_time_code ()
still says

 /* Now, this is a little wierd. We can't send MTC Quarter Frame
 messages the way they are really intended because our audio
 is block-processed, and we have no way to deliver 1/4-frame
 messages at "the right time". So instead, we make a bursty
 transmission here, sending 8 qtr-frame messages per pair
 of elapsed frames.

 XXX This is NOT RIGHT! Some better way to handle this
 is needed.
 */

Wolfgang