[ardour-users] Ardour & Rosegarden

Robert Jonsson rj at spamatica.se
Mon Feb 7 13:41:14 PST 2005

Hi Mark,

Getting somewhat off topic here, just a quick one...

måndagen den 7 februari 2005 18.43 skrev Mark Knecht:
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 17:37:42 +0100, Robert Jonsson <rj at spamatica.se> wrote:
> > You could try MusE, http://muse-sequencer.org.
> >
> > Two disclaimers:
> > I haven't tried this matrix editor, only seen it on pictures so I'm not
> > exactly sure what makes it unique, it does atleast look similar to the
> > editors in MusE.
> > And I'm a co-developer of MusE, hence slight bias ;).
> >
> > Regards,
> > Robert
>
> Hi Robert,
>    You know, I hadn't tried Musi in a long time. Since this is a
> Planet box it was easy to install. The program has come along quite a
> long ways since I last looked at it. You folks are to be
> congratulated.

Thank you!

>    I cannot get it to record audio yet. Probably doing something
> stupid. It's meters do register audio coming in and I can wire outputs
> back to my sound card so certainly the program is basically working.

Ok, if you got the input meters to move you are basically there, connect the
input strip to the designated track (with the [oR] button on the input strip)
and record enable the track. Now the meter should move on the track also,
recording should now work.

>    As with all these programs there are always little things.

Indeed. This is definitely one of the differences between commercial and
volunteer open source software. Some things, often related to polish, just
don't get enough attention...

>    The
> mixer window doesn't seem to be quite fully sizeable. It shows me 100%
> of all the audio tracks I add, but only about 85% of the Out1 master
> track. I don't see how to rename tracks yet, at least by clickign
> around with the mouse. That's a very small issue.

Double click on the name.

>    I must do a bit more playing with this. Does it handle VSTs at all?

It's not enabled by default, don't know if the planet build enables it,
probably not. I would not call it production status, more to come in this
area...

Regards,
Robert

--