[ardour-users] Ardour & Rosegarden

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 08:57:36 PST 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 11:39:11 -0500, ross at lug.udel.edu <ross at lug.udel.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 02:08:09PM +0100, marco at deepinsidemyself.de wrote:
> > The last years I worked with Logic and the only thing I liked was the Matrix
> > Editor. Now I wonder if there's a Matrix Editor for Linux that editing functions
> > are similar to the Logic Matrix Editor? I liked things like changing the
> > velocity with the "Velocity Pointer". I know everything can be done with
> > Rosegarden too but for the same work I need a lot of time more.
> >
> > What do you use for editing Midi-Files?
>
> I haven't used it in years, and I never used Logic so I'm not sure how
> similar it is, but JAZZ++ has somthing I might call a "matrix editor".
> It's probably totally different than what you want ::-)  but here's
> the link:
>
> http://www.jazzware.com/cgi-bin/Zope.cgi/jazzware/
>
> --
> Ross Vandegrift
> ross at lug.udel.edu

On paper I've always thought Jazz++ looks very interesting. It has
some feature for writing drum parts that are much more intersting than
matrix drum editors. You can write rults for patterns that tell it to
always play on one beat but to play randomly on another beat some
percentage of the time. I found the language hard to really make work
but some of the stuff it did was quite interesting.

Jazz++ not actively developed anymore. (I think.)

Linux lacks for one really all encompassing audio/MIDI application for
recording and composing.

- Mark