[ardour-users] Greetings and question re: downsampling

Maluvia terakuma at imbris.net
Sat Dec 31 08:50:57 PST 2005

On 12/31/05 at 11:33 AM Paul Davis wrote:

>not really possible. ardour doesn't talk to the h/w, it only routes
>audio via JACK. in theory, you could use the still somewhat experimental
>"jack_diplomat" to connect two instances of JACK with two separate
>ardour clients, but i doubt that it will work too well for such a major
>SR change.

I had not heard of "jack_diplomat".  Thanks for the heads-up.

>you might be better explaining a bit more about what you are trying to
>accomplish.

We want to record at the highest possible resolution to preserve the fidelity of the acoustic instruments, but need to mix down to 44/16 for CD mastering.
I realize we can just output to a second pc for this stage, but was wondering if it could be done on the same pc. (I didn't really think it could.)

As an alternative, we would have to use software dithering and downsampling, but haven't been happy with the results of this in the past.
I am not yet up to speed with how to do downsampling/dithering with linux software.
I would welcome any tips re: good programs/plug-in to accomplish this.

Thanks again.