[ardour-users] Greetings and question re: downsampling

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Dec 31 08:33:06 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 08:10 -0800, Maluvia wrote:
> Hello - Ardour newbie here.
>
> First, I want to thank everyone who has worked so hard on this project for creating such an outstanding program!
> After literally 9 months of struggle to get our amd64 system functional and able to run a reasonably stable 32-bit OS on which we could to try Ardour out, I must say it has far exceeded our expectations, and made us feel that all the effort to build a Linux DAW was well worth it.
> Having tried other pro-audio recording software on Windows, we find that Ardour far outshines them all.
> Thank you, thank you, thank you!
> After some trial and error learning how to run Jack with the correct flags, and how to set the proper controls with amixer, we successfully made several 192 khz recordings and they sounded awesome!
> It is such a relief to have no filtering taking place in the software, such as occurs with other programs - even when you try to bypass/disable everything in the default plug-in chain.
>
> This leads to my first question. (And yes, I did search through various archives for info on this but did not understand what I read.):
>
> We want to try hardware downsampling (as we have not found a dithering algorithm we have been happy with), and wondered if it might be possible to do this on the same pc that the recordings are on.
> i.e., is it possible to run more than one instance of Jack at a different sample rate, and a second instance of Ardour, going to a second sound card on the same pc?
> (Sorry if this is a dumb question.)

not really possible. ardour doesn't talk to the h/w, it only routes
audio via JACK. in theory, you could use the still somewhat experimental
"jack_diplomat" to connect two instances of JACK with two separate
ardour clients, but i doubt that it will work too well for such a major
SR change.

you might be better explaining a bit more about what you are trying to
accomplish.