[ardour-users] Ardour & BCF2000 USB control surface

John Anderson ardour at semiosix.com
Fri Dec 30 04:34:10 PST 2005

Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

>On 27 December 2005 at 0:38, Jesse Chappell <jesse at essej.net> wrote:
>

>>On 12/26/05, Joe Hartley <jh at brainiac.com> wrote:

>>>This happens to me, too, using any version of ardour or qjackctl on a
>>>Planet CCRMA (RH9-based) machine.  Power-cycling the BCF fixes the problem.
>>>

>>I believe this might have something to do with ardour itself capturing
>>the raw midi device in some way that prevents alsaseq from using it.
>>Look in your ~/.ardour/ardour.rc near the top and remove the other
>><MIDI-port ... > lines where the type *isn't*  "alsa/sequencer".
>>

>But, what's a person to do if the type is "alsa/raw" and there is
>actually a soundcard's MIDI port associated with it?  That would be
>my case, in the event I buy a BCF2000 someday -- they seem very cool.

In my ~/.ardour/ardour.rc I have

<MIDI-port tag="bcf" device="/dev/snd/midiC2D0" type="alsa/raw"
mode="duplex"/>

Which means that as soon as ardour starts up, it connects to the
BCF2000, and initialises the controls to the correct values.
Occasionally the BCF2000 stops responding to control messages, but I
haven't figured out exactly what causes that. Mostly it's fine.

bye
John