[ardour-users] Ardour needs a forum

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Aug 30 08:03:29 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 07:38 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> This is one of those places where I think it's cool for someone to put
> their money where their mouth is. Register a URL. Pay $5/month. Buy
> some space on a server and set it up. If there is a need and it's run
> well then Field of Dreams wins and 'they will come'. If not, well then
> it wasn't needed and three months later you shut it down. Probably
> costs $25 to try it out.

I can offer only one comment on this thread: I can guarantee that
whereas I intend to remain observant and where necessary involved with
ardour mailing lists, I will, at best rarely, and at worst never,
participate in a web-based forum.

I suggest that a better idea is to find a way to do auto-registration
for the ardour manual wiki, and add a more user-centric/user-created
section to the manual, somehow. This is not Steinberg: material that you
guys think is worth documenting is worthwhile being in the manual, if
its done well. There is no need to create the usual sub-industry of
Craig Anderton-alike books on "tricks and hints with Ardour".

--p