[ardour-users] Refugee from Windoze/Cubase -drowning in Linux/Ardour

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 21:06:29 PDT 2005

On 4/19/05, Keith Smith <kah.smith at shaw.ca> wrote:

> The two jacks were 0.99 and 0.99.36. The one thats left and running is
> 0.99.36

good. That's consistent with my Planet setup.

> Sounds like at least $2 worth. I guess that leaves vstserver out for a
> while (sob), but it makes good sense. Now that we've got the Jack thing
> sorted, there are a few other things that work now, like Hydrogen,
> amsynth and I don't know what else, so I've got lots to keep me occupied
> while I get used to this. (Not to mention actually getting to try some
> work with Ardour!)

ZynAddSubFX and if you're adventurous give LinuxSampler a shat. It's a
build from source item but I've done a lot of testing and it's very
compatible with at least FC2/Planet boxes. (GigaStudio Orchestra
compatible including 24-bit Gig files.)

> I seem to be doing most of my email on Linux now, and have the basic
> things on my palm synced. The trouble there is that I use a lot of 3rd
> party palm software -databases for billing etc, but the big things that
> will keep me in Windows for a while are Finale, and all those VST
> plugins for Cubase, plus Reason, FL Studio and Garritan. Don't know why
> I should cry too much over the synth stuff though. 99.9% of what I do is
> straight audio.

I'm the same way, although I love the sounds of a good soft synth.
Many of us have the same problems getting off of Windows. There's
always somethign holding us back. Over time youand I will both get
there.

C ya,
Mark