[ardour-users] Hardware Monitoring on RME9636

Martin Buechler martin.buechler at vrweb.de
Sun Apr 17 13:06:56 PDT 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 4/17/05, Martin Buechler <martin.buechler at vrweb.de> wrote:
>
>>Hi ardour-users,
>>

> <SNIP>
>
>>What do I have to do to get HW monitoring working? What change in
>>asound.state is needed, or even .asoundrc? How must jack be started to
>>receive monitor events from ardour, i.e. punch-in/out? How must ardour
>>be configured to send such events, the sessions seem not to memorize the
>>'Hardware Monitoring' switch, or
>>
>>Should I better buy a little external mixer and forget about the card's
>>hw monitoring feature?
>

> Martin,
>    It ain't pretty but I've done it using hdspmixer and different
> preset files. My main outs on the HDSP 9652 are A3-1 & A3-2. If I'm
> recording something from a hardware input, like In 9/10 (A2-1 & A2-2)
> the I have a preset file that routes that directly to A3-1/A3-2 for
> zero delay.
>
>    I've also messed a bit with routing to an inexpensive extenal
> reverb unit for recording vocals. It helps.
>
>    Anyway, as I said, it ain't pretty, but it does work.

I actually don't know, what a preset file is, and I also do not have a
HDSP, so I guess that this won't work with a RME 9636 card anyway, isn't
it? Meanwhile I made a kind of proceeding with setting 'Channel thru' to
true for channel 0 and leaving Passthru 'false'. And: Only if I keep
qjackctl up and running while restoring that configuration to the card,
then the sound comes through cleanly on the left side aka AEB-O's jack
1. Channel 0 and 1 are also my main outputs on the AEB-0 connector, and
if I start ardour rolling, I cannot hear the left track anymore.....only
the monitor signal, urrrggh. But I think, I start to to understand:

1. Channel thru makes this channels in _and_ output only useable for the
monitor signal, it doesn't automagically mix with what is coming from
another source.
2. To get a no latency mix of both for monitoring while recording, I
mean the monitor signal and the tracks, I still need an external analog
mixer,
or I have the monitor on the left and everything else on the other
side...hmm not really exciting.

Agreed?

Martin