[ardour-users] Setting up a DAW on Mandrake 10.1

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Apr 11 17:03:41 PDT 2005

>Our project studio is totally frustrated with Windows and has decided to
>drop it completely because it and the supported software does not want to
>work stable enough with our hardware.  We are using a RME Hammerfall
>Multiface and as suggested a Sound Blaster Live for playback.  We have

who suggested an SBLive for playback? if you have a multiface, there's
really no particular reason for the SBLive unless you're an ardour
developer or you also do a lot of work with simple stereo playback.

>decided to make the switch to Linux as recommended by RME so that we can

RME recommended the switch? really?

>have a stable DAW.  We obtained Mandrake 10.1 and being new to Linux need
>help configuring the computer to run the Multiface with Ardour as
>recommended by RME.  We have successfully loaded Ardour on to our system but
>are having problems finding a correct version of the
>jack-audio-connection-kit that will get Ardour running.  What I am looking

the "correct" (i.e. optimum) version is not yet a regular release. if
you are not a programming-type person, i would probably wait till we
get the next official JACK release out there. the last release will
work in almost every way, however.

>for is simply a suggested configuration for our system and OS platform that
>will get JACK and Ardour runnig so that we can fully and effectively use the
>RME Multiface.

You can get help from this and other mailing lists, or you can ship
your system to me and for $400 + return shipping, I'll get it back to
you tuned up and ready to roll, with ongoing system support for 2
months.

Please keep in mind that *some* PC hardware really is unusable for
pro-audio purposes.

--p