[ardour-users] CCRMA vs. AGNULA

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Apr 5 11:14:50 PDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 12:45:01PM -0400, Jason Russler wrote:
> Hi all,
> Just to clarify, I think it's time to mention that apt is a methodology for
> resolving the dependencies of packages (usually dpkg but it has been fitted
> for rpm as well).  It is not a package format - like rpm or dpkg.   I keep
> hearing comparisons between rpm and apt and they are not analogous - dpkg
> and rpm are - sort of.   Almost everyone knows this, but it can confuse
> people who are learning, otherwise I wouldn't bother mentioning it.

Ah, thanks, I tend to forget that.
I suspect, not having used it, that apt4rpm would make me much happier
on a redhat/fedora system than I was back in the days of RH 7.x
when I jumped over to Debian.

Does apt provide anything like the "USE flags" feature of portage,
where you can specify various features such as X11 support, tk support,
jack support etc. and whenever relevant / available you get your packages
built with those options?  I'd assume not since intuitively that would
require building stuff from source, but hey, can't hurt to ask...

-PW

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com