[ardour-users] Ardour, Jack won't start

ulrich steffens ulrich at barfuss-jerusalem.org
Tue Apr 5 07:04:20 PDT 2005

hi, im also running ubuntu (hoary) and jack/ardour... though i found
some problems lately in ubuntu it mainly works well.
have you enabled the 'universe' repos in kubuntu?
if not, either open the file /etc/apt/sources.list and enable

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hoary main restricted universe
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hoary main restricted universe

by deleting the # in front of the lines.
or in 'synaptic' go: settings > repositories. hit the reload button and
then search for jack, it will show up there as 'jackd'. the presence of
jack-audio-ripper confused me as well, cause i've never heard of this :)
you may also find 'qjackctl' VERY useful cause its a nice GUI to
configure and start jackd.
also the ubuntu-kernel comes 'realtime' ready (means to be able to run
jack/ardour in realtime without beeing root). search for realtime in
synaptic. i am not sure if this thing works out of the box, cause i
started fiddling with realtime when i was on warty and upgraded
meanwhile to hoary. (a quick look at the repos shows that realtime-lsm
is in the 'unuverse' repos)
if realtime is compiled and ready, open /etc/modules and put
	realtime gid=29
in the last line. this enables realtime for the audio-group.

hope this helps

--
- ulrich