[ardour-users] RME Hammerfall 9652

Dan Sawyer dsawyer at blenderwars.com
Tue Sep 14 22:49:56 PDT 2004

> If you are just using Alsa then you can only get sound from one app at
> a time. On the other hand, if oyu are using Jack then you can get 13
> stereo programs running at the same time, as long as each program can
> attach its output to the right playback channel.

Ok...then, the question becomes: Can you point me to any good resources on
getting Jackd to run with this card?  At the moment, when I try to start
jackd with default settings, it sort of hangs, shuts down the card, and
returns an xrun most of the time when a sound is played - and even when it
doesn't, the sound doesn't actually reach the hdsp mixer.  In addition, when
Jack is running, the hdsp mixer won't run because it says "no soundcard
available".  It seems that jackd defaults to 0 input and 0 output channels,
which explains this behavior rather handily.  However, whenever I try to
start it WITH channels, I get exactly the same behavior.

Of course, once I can get Jack working, then I can start learning Ardour,
which is the real fun part :)

Any further help, as always, will be greatly appreaciated
Thanks again
-Dan Sawyer