[ardour-users] RME Hammerfall 9652

Dan Sawyer dsawyer at blenderwars.com
Sat Sep 11 20:20:51 PDT 2004

Hi, everybody

A few months ago, after doing the best research I could on acquiring an ADAT
compatible card for Linux, I settled on and bought an RME Hammerfall 9652.
The card looks fabulous :)  I have installed it, and the appropriate ALSA
drivers, et.al., have had no problems loading the drivers.

Now I'm stuck.  Trying to get basic audio monitoring to work, I am running
into a brick wall.  Here's what I have so far.

I can start the HDSP mixer, and play a file in Kaffeine, and see the level
meters active as the sound is played in the HDSPMixer window (the activity is
on playback channels 1 and 2, and on output channels A11 and A12.

This is where I get stuck.  Obviously the thing is playing, and I have the RCA
outputs piped into some amplified speakers (have also tried routing it into a
receiver and mixer with monitor headphones via the same cables), but am
getting no audible playback.  My suspicion is that the audio is not routing
out to the proper port, but I'm at a loss as to how to route it properly.

The ALSA mixer doesn't give me control over PCM and where it's routed (in
fact, pulling up Kamix or Gamix results in a window with no volume control
sliders whatsoever).

Up to this point, I have contented myself with high-end consumer/mid-range
prosumer audio setups, but am in a position now where I need this card to do
some serious mixing, but I just don't want to install Windows if I can help
it.  Any help at getting over this little hump would be vastly appreciated
(that way I can move on to decipering Ardour :-)).

Running ALSA 1.0.4, kernel 2.6.5

Thanks in advance
-Dan Sawyer
ArtisticWhispers Productions