[ardour-users] Re: Book

andy news4 at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Sat Sep 11 12:22:38 PDT 2004

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:20:10 -0600, D. R. Evans wrote:

> Noah Roberts said the following at 2004-09-07 12:51 :
>> What books on recording, mixing, mastering, are there that go well with
>> ardour?  I assume there are none that use ardour, but maybe there are
>> some good ones that use a software package similar enough to be useful
>> to me?
>>

> I feel your pain. I have ardour loaded on my laptop. I have yet to
> figure out how to record anything, even after a lot of trying and trying
> to make sense of what documentation exists.

That's really not that hard. I started trying to explain how to do it
step by step, but it would be easier if you said what you've tried and
what you have managed to get working, and I'll have a go.

The main things to get right are:

- make sure your sound card is recording OK without jack - i.e. just use
alsa plus something like arecord to record a file from the command line.
Use alsamixer to set up the mixer to capture from line in or CD.

- then start jack and ardour and create an ardour session.

- then make a new track. Set the volume control to 0 dB in the mixer
window.

- then press record on the track's mixer window strip, and press the
record button followed by the play button in the main ardour window.

- this should start it off recording.

You can do more complex setups than this, like routing the incoming audio
through a bus to get better control over the recording level, but this
ought to work.

--
http://www.niftybits.ukfsn.org/

remove 'n-u-l-l' to email me. html mail or attachments will go in the spam
bin unless notified with [html] or [attachment] in the subject line.