[ardour-users] Xruns, and buffer sizes... Continued recording problems.

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Tue Sep 7 18:05:54 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 10:29, Jason Jones wrote:

> Some things I've considered doing to get rid of the xruns, but I have no
> idea if they're going to be effective:
>
> 1. Using a ps/2 mouse instead of a USB one, and turning off USB
> capabilities.

	Definitely!

> 2. Taking out my wireless NIC (not using it anyway).

	Yup.

> 3. Using xterm to start my qjackctl program instead of gnome-terminal
> (although I have it minimized while recording)

	I don't know if that will help.  I put it on the desktop and start as
root.  No terminal.

> 4. Using "jackd -R -d alsa...." instead of qjackctl in xterm.

	I never noticed a difference due to qjackctl.

> 5. Disabling hardware accelleration for my NVidia cards by using "nv"
> instead of "nvidia" (found that one through google last night).  Maybe
> just turning off the GLX drivers would suffice?  (Not using DRI, either).

	Nope.  It actually runs better with acceleration - at least on my
system.

> 6. Disabling everything I'm not using in my kernel (IEEE1394, USB,
> Networking, etc...).

	That may help but try killing autorun, syslogd, crond, and other
services first.  I always kill syslogd while recording since every once
in a while it wants to write to disk and I'm not too concerned about
what it's doing while I'm recording.  I restart them after I'm done
(start and stop scripts in qjackctl).

Jan