[ardour-users] Re: can you export tracks while recording?

philicorda philicorda at ntlworld.com
Fri Sep 3 23:41:00 PDT 2004

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> andy wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 19:52:58 +0100, andy wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking for a way to export recorded tracks without stopping the
>>> recording. The idea is to have two record tracks which can be punched in
>>> and out to record segments of a continuous live stream. I.e. between
>>> programmes, you start recording track1 and stop track2, or vice versa.
>>> Then I want to be able to export the recorded chunk of track1 to another
>>> machine for editing while the next bit is still recording in ardour.
>>> I can't see any way to do this within ardour. I thought of just pulling
>>> the recorded track files out of ardour-project/sounds/track1-n.wav, but
>>> ardour is putting several chunks inside one wav file, and I don't
>>> know how
>>> to find the boundaries.

Hi. I think there may be an easier way...
Run two copies of ardour at once!
Then you can edit, top and tail and export at 16/44.1k from one while
the other is recording.

To do this, you must start the second Adour with a different name...
ardour -c newdour

I just tried it and it seems to work fine, even on a humble p2 400.
Thanks to the magic of Jack, they don't fight over who gets to use the
soundcard.