[ardour-users] ardour doesn't find libjack.so.0, exits.

Damien DeZurik ddezurik at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 25 11:06:58 PDT 2004

In regards to this comment:

> ... Consider why the library ended
> up in /usr/local vs. /usr. Consider what will happen
> if you use a
> differenct, more standard ./configure --prefix=/usr
> later on.

 Perhaps in different distros/shops/circles the answer
to this question is different but I will ask anyway;
isn't /usr/local the best place to put third party,
post-OS-install software?  You know, somewhere common
to put all that stuff you loaded yourself so it can be
backed up, and restored easily if, for example, major
system/OS changes need to occur.

 Please feel free to set me straight on this, but ...

 I feel that I have the jack libs in a good place but
ardour doesn't want to look there (by default).  For
the record, with both jack and ardour I did not add
any '--prefix=...' options.  I ./configure'd them with
what ever default prefix's they determined.

 My contention would be that both libjack and ardour
should be configured and installed so that they exist
in, and use each others libs from /usr/local. Is this
crazy talk?

Damien